Sunday, April 14, 2013

Germans Know How To Party

The whole gaggle of us!
The last two weekends have been packed with fun and amazing adventures, but it seems that not one is quite profound enough to write a blog entry about it. Thusly, this post will be about everything over the last two weekends.

Last weekend we started out our adventures by going to Bremen. (Oh I love having a semester ticket and traveling for free!) I had a grand time walking around this fair and just looking at all the shimmering lights. First stop (of course) was to the mini beer garten for a glass of beer or a mug of gluhwein. While all of them were finishing their drinks I went to explore down the road a little ways where I found a stall that sells currywurst.
For those of you who don't know, I love currywurst. Since I first tried that slice of heaven at the Weihnachtsmarkt in Denver, I've been looking for it here. So I saunter over to these people and they start chatting me up before I could even order. Just take a second and think of the normal kinds of people you'd see here. They are all chatty and rather flirty because they want you to come to THEIR shop because it's better than the one around the corner. 
So I can successfully say that I got hit on in German and I understood it all. Score one for Lex!
So after flirting as outrageously as I could in a foreign language, I bought some delicious curry wurst and headed off to the next attraction.

The next attraction just about stopped my heart. I'm not sure how else to explain it besides saying "It's one of those big spinny things".  Rebecca, Ty, and I sat at the top while we waited for the people on the bottom to get loaded. I wish I had brought my camera up with me because the view almost made me cry. Sitting there suspended above a picturesque city in Germany with the bright pink sunset on the horizon really just makes you realize how far from home you are and how much you love it. THEN YOU PLUMMET TO THE GROUND AT A SPEED THAT MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE YOU'RE GOING TO DIE because that's how the ride is designed.
Every time that ride hit the top and I felt like I was just floating, I would simply close my eyes and imagine I was flying. Spread eagle 100 feet above this wonderful city. 
Yeah, that's right, I'm awesome. 

The rest of the night was fun and very cold for my poor monster toes. The boys decided to show off at a bow and arrow booth where Blake and Alex destroyed everyone.
I was very proud of Marijn that night. He learned how to use a bow and arrow and wasn't too shabby at it! 













The next day a bunch of us were on a train back to Bremen then on to Hamburg. Can I just tell you a bit about how much I love train stations? Or airports? Or bus stations? Every time I enter one, I just get this
Anne and I 
instant wanderlust and want to hop on the first train and see what kind of adventures I can get myself into (I am an adventure magnet after all).

We got to Hamburg a few hours early so we decided to walk the harbor just a little (since it is probably the largest harbor I'm ever going to see). It was a beautifully sunny day to walk along the water and see all the boats pulling in and out as well as watch all the people who would frequent this little bit of the harbor.

It was quite a lovely little walk before we hopped back on the train (subway) and headed to the Hamburg dungeon.

You may remember the last dungeon I mentioned, the one from Amsterdam. Remember how I raved about it? Yeah, that's not going to happen for this one. This one was far more crowded (and sadly with a middle school group that shrieked at everything) and everything was in German.
Now I know what some of you are already saying. "But, Lex, you speak German. How is this a problem?"
Part of the fun of the dungeon is how funny it is. The actors are witty and can play off of anything the crowd throws at them. You need to be very good at the language to keep up with their sharp wit and clever puns. Thankfully most of the rooms were like the one
in Amsterdam so I could pretty much figure out what was going on just because I saw the other version first. It was still fun to explore a little part of the city with a whole group of international students. :)









Now onto this weekend (I know, already feels like a lot!)
Friday night there was a welcome party at die Pinte (student run bar in the dorm) for all the international
students. There were a ton of people packed in this little bar, but it was really fun to chat with some of these people. I finally even got a picture with Dominika! She's a friend of mine from the first course I had here. Her German sounds so pretty because it has a Polish accent.

The next night, however, was a blast. It was called the Black and White Mustache Party. There was a whole group of us that decided to suit up and out class everyone there. We had one or two in a 5 piece suit. Yeah, who said Americans can't be classy? I'm not sure what to say about the party besides I had fun being classy. We danced. We drank. We smoked cuban cigars (yay for not having an embargo here!). We just looked our dang best.
Adorable Dutch Boy (Marijn) and I

Have no fear, we all have mustaches!

Ty and Blake

Anyone else thinks this looks like a photo of a mob party?


Then drunk Lex tried to ride her bike home (she tried a few times actually) and it never worked.
I'm now the proud owner of several bruises and abrasions on the left side of my body. Now, I don't want you all to worry about me. Everyone there was doing a really good job at keeping on eye on me. Rebecca even walked me home, she just wasn't fast enough to catch me every time I tried to get on my bike again.
It was quite a grand night and worth the ruined stockings.

No comments:

Post a Comment