Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Journey is the Destination

Between these epic adventures to far off, German cities I find ways to entertain myself. I mean, I'm in Germany after all.... I'm sure I can find something to do with my time.
People are always a good place to start when you're looking for something to fill the hours between sunup and sundown (which is getting really long here. I think we're up to 18 hours of light a day).
A few weeks ago, Blake graciously let me take him on a date. How sweet. We made sandwich stuff and then packed it off to a dorf just south of where we're living called Sandkrug.
Knowing we both miss our forests back in Colorado, I thought this would be a perfect place, and I think I hit the nail on the head. After hiking around for awhile and just enjoying the fresh, albeit heavy, air of the forest, we found a nice hill to plop down onto and eat lunch.
This isn't one of those amazing adventures that I'm going to tell over and over, or even tell my grandkids, but it was a beautiful place

Another nice person to waste time with is Bethany Blackburn. She's another one from UNC, but she's based
out of Köln right now because that's where her boyfriend lives or is studying.... or because that's where she likes to capture dragons. Either way, she's there, so it's a real treat when she comes up to Oldenburg and we get to see her. The first time we saw her here, she was just passing through, but this weekend she was here for a few days. First, we just hit the local watering hole and just had a good night talking and laughing. Ya know, the norm.
Also, she's my favorite red-head.
She's just cool like that.

And then the next day she and Björn invited us to go to Olantis with them. I guess Oldenburg is kinda famous for this water park. COOL! It was only €2,30 since the indoor part was closed and I used a student discount. We still got the outdoor heated (THANK THE LORD) pool and the river that had a pirate boat in it.
Ty showed off his Michigian blood by hanging out in the water of the river longer than any of us. When I said I was going to jump in Alex and Ty kept making jokes about burining my body on the pirate ship like a true viking funeral. And yeah, it was that cold.
Have you ever jumped into water and all of the sudden you couldn't breathe? Like cold just took on a human form and FALCON PUNCHED you in the diaphragm? It felt something like that.
The rest of the time was cool, especially when I pwned at a game of chicken. Goooood times. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment