Monday, May 13, 2013

Hamburger Hafengeburtstag!

So many people...
So many BOATS!
This is now the third time I've been to Hamburg. I'm not sure the first time counts considering it was when I flew in. All I did was walk to the train from the airport and then go to Oldenburg.

The last time I came here we all went to the Hamburg dungeon and didn't get to see much of the city.
Now, there are still many things I want to see here, but we got a few more covered when we were here for the harbor's birthday. We took a long walk up and down part of the harbor. It was so crowded that we gave that up as soon as we had the chance.

But! Before I get into what we did when we left the harbor, I want to tell you something that makes me SO excited! I can hardly contain myself!

In our travel group we had two young Indian ladies who didn't speak German...or if they did, they didn't speak much. The tour guide tried to explain everything in English to them too, but she didn't know very much. Towards the end of our time as a whole group I had been picked to translate for them. With a little help from my American friends (wait, that's not how the song goes!) I was able to translate everything just fine.
Ty and I in front of a cool, German boat

I was SO proud of myself! I was able to understand German well enough to translate for these young ladies.

When my parents first told me they were going to visit me in Germany, the coolest thing to me was to translate for them when they got here. I don't know if it was just because I wanted to show off, or just to prove that I could do it. Either way, it was the one things that got me most excited about the prospect of them visiting.
Once I got to Germany I lost all of that excitement because I could hardly understand anyone.
But in Hamburg, translating for those girls and then trying my darndest to speak only German with Dominika,
Dominika, Anne and I with flowers I picked for us. :)
the polish girl, my confidance is back up again!

So after that happy thought...
We went to a nice park just outside of the harbor where I ended up picking flowers for the three of us girls in the group. It was beautiful there, with everything in bloom.
We found a cool statue of Bismark and from the top of his platform we could see the church. THE church. The one that is a symbol of Hamburg.

St. Michaelis Kirche rose stately out of the tree tops to the east. After fooling around and taking cool pictures on the top of Bismark's platform, we decided to head over to the church.

I know you want to see some of those photos I'm talking about. ;)














Jump, Ty! :D















Perfect representation of our relationship! 



















When you first walk up to the church, the first thing you notice is a spiral staircase in the very top of the tower. I jokingly said that I was going to get up there, that I was going to climb it. Everyone just smiled and laughed, pictuing me climbing the building spiderman-syle to get to the top.
As you walk up to the church you get this view:


And you regret ever life choice you've ever made. Ever. But that's okay, when you're on your way up to the tower you can look our the window right behind him and see up his skirt. Makes it a little less scary....

And for a mere €4 you too can climb to the top of the tower, a grand 400 somethin' feet above Hamburg. I
think it was worth the money to climb up there. You got to see the inner workings and all the bells on your way up as well as the little restaurant they have right below the very top (I smell a date idea). Once up there, I couldn't help but face the wind and embrace the world.

It was so beautiful to stand there (in the frigid, raging wind) and watch the storm roll in over the harbor. I wish we could have stayed up there longer to see the sunset or even the fireworks later that night. Hm. Maybe some other time.
One thing about this spot though, we can get some really neat pictures from up there!



IT WAS REALLY WINDY!

Ty is the Wind God


Sadly, we were all too worn out to stay for the fireworks because that would have had us back in Oldenburg at about 2am. So we watched the sunset from the train home....well, those of us who were awake did at least.
It was a very fun day that, as always, ended with a vow to go back.
Maybe next time we'll get a reservation for the rooftop terrace at sunset? Sounds like a good plan to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment