Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Alaska: Just North of Normal (I'M ON A BOAT)

We woke up to a bleak morning in which the fog hung so low off the water, Juneau was just a slight glimmer across the water. It also happened to be the day we were going to go whale watching. We got up, packed up, donned out rain coats, and made the trek to my aunt and uncle's boat waiting for us in the marina. The tide was out so we had to make sure we didn't trip and break our necks coming down the steep ramp to the boat. 

John was so excited to learn about boats that he ran around following my aunt and uncle and constantly asking them if they needed help because he wanted to do it so badly. It was fun. I think I see a boat in our future....

The rain really made for a beautiful day. 

Drawing out of the marina, we spotted a couple of bald eagles just sitting on the corner we pulled around. I know that in Alaska they are considered pests, but I still thought it was so cool to see the bird of our country just sitting there, watching us pull into the ocean. 


The cabin of the boat was cozy as we sped along the water around the island. We passed a little island called Skull Island that peaked the interest of the Goonie inside me. We didn't get close enough to explore so my aunt regaled me with tales of her camping with some friends on a nearby island and how wildfires get started in Alaska. Apparently many of the wild fires in Alaska are caused by people who don't put out their camping fires correctly. The loam on the ground is so thick that the embers and continue to burn under the leaves and plans causing a fire that doesn't show itself until hours or days later. 



At one point my Uncle put John and I in charge of driving the boat...which may or may not have been the best idea. 





Once we got to the other tip of Douglas Island we followed some whale watching boats around until we saw whales. We never saw one breach, but it was fun sitting on the upper deck and waiting with baited breath for another viewing. We saw one orca, a pod of dolphins, and a pod of humpback whales. After a quite a few fuzzy pictures we decided to put our cameras away and just enjoy watching these HUGE and gentle creatures swimming around us.

However, I did get a few pictures before I put my camera away.

My brother chilling out on the prow
while looking for more whales. 




No comments:

Post a Comment