Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Alaska: Just North of Normal (Juneau and Taku)



In Juneau they have a tram, a gondola really, that brings hundreds of tourists every day to the top of Mt. Roberts. They cut out a swath out of the tall trees so the tram had a way to get to the top. What I noticed most about the ride up was that the slope was much steeper than expected and the height of the trees in Alaska continues to astound me.



Once we got to the top we had the exact opposite view than the one we have from the condo at which we were staying. The beautiful mountains were sharp against the clear sky and the water sparkled with the light from the sun. The best part was the bald eagle circling around us.




The top of Mt. Roberts is a full tourist trap. It has a gift shop and pictures they will shop Sarah Palin or a grizzly depending on your bravery. They also have a beautiful rescued eagle named Lady Baltimore, and equally beautiful hiking trails if you're up to the climb.

Mom, Eli, John, and I took a short hike up one of the trails before coming back and heading back down the mountain to cruise the town. The trail, trees, and view reminded me so much of the Colorado Rocky Mountains that I wasn't sure just how far we had flown. I felt like I was right back hiking up Horsetooth in Fort Collins.

The road just up the mountain behind the main street in Juneau.
It's a beautiful mountain town that reminds me of Central City, Colorado. 

Apparently I am found growing naturally in Alaska.  
Where to next?


After another evening of napping and enjoying time with the family, we planned a helicopter trip to one of the glaciers. Taku glacier to be exact.

Brother: Eli, Dad: Charles, Mom: Kirsty, Boyfriend: John, Me: Alexandra


We had to put on special booties over our shoes and don fancy looking head sets for the ride. Let me tell you what, riding in a helicopter only made my passion to become a pilot blossom even more. It was so thrilling and exciting. It may have partially been to the uplifting and mild music playing in our ears the entire ride but hey. Still wanna do it.


View of Juneau and the bridge to Douglas Island from the Helicopter


Did you know that glaciers break up rock and turn the dirt into silt and act as a REALLY SLOW conveaor belt and deposit it in the water? I didn't. I just knew they were big blocks of ice. Did you know that they are noisy? They creak more than you'd expect. Did you know they are brilliant blue inside? They are beautifully blue. The water in them is clear and beautiful and I'm still kicking myself for not taking a big swig of some.

The helicopter that brought us in. 

The crevasse starts at a few inches apart then grows to feet apart. 

The silt deposit from the glacier. 


The ride back was even more beautiful because I got to sit in the front seat. Flying through the vallies of the mountains was breath taking. Near the tip of the peaks I could see nothing but the points of mountains for as far as the eye could see. I got hit by a moment of wanderlust like it was lightning. I want to travel the Alaskan mountains like none other.

The glacier breaking off into the sea.


Glaciers are so much more vast than we could imagine. 

It snakes all the way up between the mountains.

Looking at the peaks disappearing into the distance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment