Saturday, March 2, 2013

First Day, New Country

Woke up about noon today and went with Alex to the Innenstadt (inner city). It's a really beautiful place that I've already posted pictures of, but I think the coolest part so far was the grocery store. Not only do they have to specify when a kid's drink is not alcoholic, they have the oddest collection of bottle shapes. I got some juice today just so I'd have something else besides water to drink here. I mean just look at this bottle!
They have some super neat stuff. I'll have to go back sometime when I have time to just sit and read everything.

The last time I ate was when I was still in Chicago (like meal-wise, I had lots of chips and pretzels here last night and they don't really count) so when I was at the Innenstadt with Alex, we grabbed some Döner. All of my German friends will just smile and nod knowing that Döner is something you have to try within the first week of being here, everyone else is scratching their head asking what the heck I'm talking about.



Doner kebab (Turkish döner, döner kebap, or döner kebabi) is a Turkish dish made of meat cooked on a vertical spit, normally veal or beef but also a mixture of these with lamb; a cheaper version of chicken is also found. The dish is also widely known by its Arabic name, shawarma, or in Greek, gyro. The sliced meat of a Döner kebab may be served wrapped in a flatbreat such as lavash or pita or as a sandwich instead of being served on a plate. It is a common fast food item in the Balkans, Middle East, Europe, Australia  and New Zealand. Toppings include tomato, onion, lettuce, pickled cucumber, and chili.

Just trust me when I say they’re really delicious!

1 comment: