Saturday, March 2, 2013

Well.... I'm here!

First flight (Denver to Chicago): Sat next to this cute miner from Virginia Tech who was SUPER into coal mining. He actually taught me more about modern day mining than I ever thought I'd learn. Though, it was a bit dry. Felt like I was in class the whole plane ride.

Flight two (Chicago to Dublin): Sat next to this really adorable, old, Irish lady. She kept telling me about how she missed the weather in Texas (where she's living now even though the only reason she moved there was because of her ex husband), but how much she loves going home. She was a great insight to long flights and Europe. Plus, she was just a delight to talk to. Then I slept for maybe about three hours, dang food kept waking me up.

          Beautiful side note..... I have never seen a night sky so bright and clear as I have seen flying over the tip of Greenland. I have never seen a sunrise so splendid as I did watching the sun crest the Atlantic ocean. I only wish that I can do this again some day and that you all can see it too!

Flight three (Dubling to Hamburg): I have never been so painfully aware of how American I am than when I was getting my COWBOY boots shined before boarding my flight.
Then I proceeded to sleep through the ENTIRE three hour flight. Because of that, I was still very much asleep when I walked off the plane and out to see Alex Garrett, totally forgetting to grab my luggage off of the baggage claim. Yessir, I will be playing the part of the stupid American for this trip.
So I had to go back through the automatic doors, which set off an alarm, to go grab my two, bright, pink bags.

Train ride: The train station in Hamburg is BEAUTIFUL and breathtaking
. Alex and I took forever to get "home"(walking at least a mile with all my luggage to get to my dorm). I don't think I've eaten since I've been in Germany, but I have my eye on a little bakery on the corner that looks good.

One thing I've noticed is that I have to really think ALL THE TIME when people are talking to me because I can't just casually understand them. I have such a headache, but I took an Advil and went to go meet some friends. There was a going away party in my new flat, a friend of Alex's. I met this adorable Dutch boy who honestly looks like Benedict Cumberbatch! (Sherlock Holmes from the BBC series Sherlock)

Then I decided to go to bed and promptly slammed my finger in the door to the bathroom (It's a delightful shade of purple now) and blew a fuse trying to plug in my electric blanket. COOL! What a night!

P.S. Blake won the race, I owe everyone drinks on St. Patrick's day. :P

2 comments: