Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It's Only Been One Week?!?!?!

The path I take to get to the Innenstadt
One of the things in life I hate more than anything (well...most things. I'm not a big fan of war either) is that learning curve you get when you first start somewhere. The worst is a new job when there are so many expectations. Second worst (and probably most terrifying) is when you go to a new culture. I was in the store today and wondering how people even function in a place where you don't know the language. If I didn't know as much German as I do, it'd just die. I know people have done it and I probably could too, but it's just such a daunting thought.

Thankfully I'm starting to get over that learning curve, and it hasn't even been a week. YES! I already have a functioning bike, food in the fridge, a place to stay, classes to attend, and friends from here. I know my way not only to the university but also other dorms and to the Innenstadt. I am able to successfully navigate markets and cell phone pre-paid cards.

There are some things I'm still working on right now. I need to get a student ticket, residency card, and visa. So I'm not done yet, by any means. I'm just happy I'm not as freaked out any more.

As a side note, I saw something really interesting today. In America, you can walk down the street and lose count of how many flag you see flying. They are big, bold, and usually have some sort of spotlight on them. So far I've only seen two German flags. So when I saw one today, I just had to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment